Google updated their Image Search Guidelines recently. Time to check image optimization 🙂
Google now automatically creates a title and snippet to explain each result better to the user. We found this actually very practical.
If you for example search for certain products you can quickly see if the “Nike Shoe” is actually from nike.com with a proper title or simply the fake product from that chinese wholesale house (they are good with indexing images at Google)
If you're a fan of images on your website, you might want to check out our updated image publishing guidelines!https://t.co/SUCRJBrE1S
— John ☆.o(≧▽≦)o.☆ (@JohnMu) May 8, 2018
What does this mean for my online business?
Optimize your images and sourounding titles.
– Title of the content piece
– SEO title of the URL
– Meta description of the URL where the image is used
– If the mediafile / image generates a specific URL for the attachment, optimize these URLs an titles
In order to improve image indexing and SEO with images in general you can always get back up to speed with images:
How to optimize for Google Image Search?
There are many different approaches to reduce file size. If you are a big corporate you’ll probably have to implement some strategic way to do that, especially if the content is user generated. You could adjust your guidelines on image sizes and apply them during the information gathering process /content submission process.
For smaller sites, B2B businesses and e-Commerce sites working with WordPress we found teh old school Photoshop method to be the most efficient. The quality of the images satys very very high but the compression is very different. Below you can see the final files 82 big images, one has 1MB the other one less than 100kb.). Have a look and see yourslelf, just right click on the screenshot.
– The most important thing (from a SEO perspective) are image sizes and static servers.
– Optimize filenames.jpg and compress before uploading.
– Implement processes to crunch images before they go live.
– If you want to be among the best you need to serve your images from a static, cookieless domain.
– You should also look into “lazy load” and similar functionalities if you work with portals and listings a lot.
As a small example I made a screenshot from the new Image Search Information that is shown by Google and uploaded it vs. an optimized file:
OLD FILE (Simple Screenshot on Mac directly uploaded:) NOT OPTIMIZED FILE
NEW FILE (Optimized drastically, then uploaded to WordPress:) OPTIMIZED FILE
The long awaited Google IO18 Keynote event is now live and you can watch it on Youtube. It’s held in the open air theatre
Learn about the latest product and platform innovations at Google in a Keynote led by Sundar Pichai.
Google I/O 2018 All Sessions Playlist → https://goo.gl/q1Tr8x
Subscribe to the Google Developers channel → http://goo.gl/mQyv5L
- Google AI for everyone. Google AI training centers worldwide.
- Google AI for medical diagnosis, eye scans can predict cardiovascular risks and much more.
- Predict Medical Events 76% chance of readmission for doctors dueto up to 20k data points, ideal for medical institutions
- Google AI “Looking to Listen”: Analyze different voices in videos. Use tech to enhance live and make impact.
- Voice is becoming more relevant. Google is showing us a wide range of updates to Google Voice Search
- Updates this week on Android to prevent users from using screens too much and help become kids to become safe and secure online
- Updates on Google News: The new Google News is coming! Initiative, AI is used to bring the best news forward, quality sources, and a product that works for publishers
- more local news, better AI enhanced techniques
- More user focused, better, quality, content
- New feature: Newscast
- Android P. will be available today and for more devices: New Android features: Adaptive Battery for better battery life experience. OS adapts to uses. e.g. 30% reduction in CPU and Auto Brightness
- Adaptive App predictions to assume “App Actions” via predictions on “what the next action of the user might be”
- ML Kit for Developers to use new technologies. Text recognition, Automatically classify through camera…
- New Navigation System: All Apps and Overview are combined with more gesture use. Larger Overview and Smart Text Selection within Overview
- New Google Maps TAB called “For you” and new “Score” called “YouMatch”, a personal score for users to make better decisions on locations
- Google Maps: Shortlist feature to plan together and take decisions easy, quick. Coming on the OS this summer.
- Google Maps Augmented Reality navigation.
- Google Lens: AI applied in cameras: Copy and Paste text from real world pictures and photos
- Weymo is the only self driving company with actually having self driving cars on the street.
- Many new features in Weymo. e.g.: “Behaviour prediction” to predict cars that might cross red lights due to speed.
Google IO Keywnote 08.05.2018 – Biggest Takeaways:
Google AI for medical diagnosis, eye scans can predict cardiovascular risks and much more
Youtube Break Recommendations
Google News Initiative
Google News Design Updates & Newscasts
Intelligent Adaptive Battery Use
New Navigation System, App Overview, Text Selection
Google Maps Augmented Reality Navigation
Find out information from the real world and search information.
Weymo Behaviour Prediction